Sunday, April 29, 2018

4/29 Navigating the Underground & a Visit to Dennis Severs' House

Today, I headed out to the British Museum.  Bad Idea.  It took me three Underground trains and a lot of walking in very, very cold weather and wind.  When I got there, it was absolutely packed with families and other tourists, so I left and took a cab to the Dennis Severs' House. 

First, some photos to show you why you do NOT take the Underground if you have a larger than usual carry-on or don't like dragging suitcases up and down staircases.  Yes, there are almost no escalators in London subways. Yesterday, when I arrived at Heathrow, I took the Heathrow Express to Padington Station and took a taxi to my hotel.  Total cost was 45 GBPs, and well worth it.   Here is what the stairs look like:



 
 Here comes a train! 
 

Now, about Dennis Severs'.  He bought a very old house on Folgate St. in Spitalfields, and over the years, decorated it so that it reflected a particular imaginary family.  You are not allowed to talk or touch anything or take photos, but it is quite an experience.  There is no electric lighting, so you must walk carefully by candlelight.  The website is at https://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/ 

But, even better, do a Google search and then click on the images. The rooms are dark and dusty, with the smells of uneaten food, looking like someone just stepped out a minute ago.

Here is also an article about this house:  https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/attractions/secret-london-why-you-should-go-and-explore-dennis-severs-house-a3706256.html
 
This is the line outside his house.  There are no reservations on Sunday, and you go through in small groups.  There are docents on each floor to make sure you do not touch, speak, or take photos.  Cost was 5 GBP for seniors or concessions, like me.
 

 Here is the view down one direction of this street.

And here is the jarring look the other way! 

Took the Underground back to hotel, but did not like the selection of take-out food nearby, so I walked almost half a mile toward Victoria Station.  On the way, I found a chain cell phone store I had used before, Cell Phone Warehouse, and got a new pay-as-you-go SIM card for my i-phone.  The SIM card is what holds your phone number and the minutes or gigs of data you buy, but the important thing is that you need a phone which is "unlocked" meaning Verizon has not fixed the phone to prevent me from using other providers.  I know my I-phone 5 is unlocked because I tested it in Canada a few years ago.  All newer i-phones are supposed to also be unlocked. 

For 15 GBPs, I got 200 minutes within the UK, 5 gigs of data, and unlimited texting within the UK.  This is a LOT cheaper than using one of Verizon's international plans that are ridiculously expensive.  People on this side of the pond, by the way, are very used to switching out SIM cards if they go to another country so they don't get charged international rates.  Now, I will have coverage if I need to call a hotel or blow a tire or whatever. 

The very helpful lady popped out my old SIM card and replaced it with the new one.  Now I will be able to get email on my phone, make calls, and most importantly, be able to use the apps on my phone like Google Maps so I won't get lost while driving.  If I need more minutes or data, I can "top-off" my phone by calling the provider.  And, if I find another provider that gives me a combination of international and UK minutes, I will get another card. 

I need to take my two hot spots in to see if they can replace the SIM cards in one with a pure data card.  I am not sure if either is unlocked, so I brought them both with me. Right now, I am using the excellent free WIFi in my Hub hotel, and nearly all my hotels during my travels offer free internet, so I will not be devastated if I cannot do this. 


And if you are in the UK and need almost anything, you can stop in a local Boots.  I bought some shampoo because I don't like the stuff in the hotel and some antiseptic wipes.  Also bought a body sponge because I had forgotten that most UK hotels do not provide washcloths. 

Anyway, I walked at LEAST two miles today.  Tomorrow is going to be still cold, so back to indoor British Museum.  Tuesday is supposed to be sunny and a bit warmer, so might take a bus tour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment