Thursday, May 10, 2018

5/10 Chipping Campden

Chipping Campden is a very old market town in the Cotswolds.  This is where farmers brought their sheep and their wool to be sold, and where wool merchants made fortunes. If you have ever read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, you will recognize this town.  Here is more history:  http://www.cotswoldjourneys.com/cotswolds-guide/chipping-campden/

For me, this was a side trip on my way from Avebury to Stratford-on-Avon, where I am this evening.  I am still getting used to driving on the wrong side of the road and trying to avoid the sharp curbs the British put even on country roads, so I cannot really enjoy the scenery, but I have included some things that are quirky and challenging about driving in Britain.  The last time I drove in Great Britain was in Scotland, and the roads were much less busy there, so I am also having difficulty with the crazy traffic.  

I am constantly checking to make sure I am on the left side of the road.  Notice the lack of shoulders.  Hidden in that edge is a curb that is about 3" tall with a sharp edge, although I did notice some slanted curbs in some places.  Also, the roads are narrower, so even though everyone is driving a narrower car, it can still be hairy.

Pretty countryside, at least.  

This is Chipping Campden.  Notice that this is a two-way street, even though there is often not room for two lanes of traffic.  Luckily, the Brits are polite and everyone takes turns going through a narrow place. The double yellow lines mean no parking on that side of the road.  Here is more info on parking in the U.K.:  https://www.justlanded.co.uk/english/United-Kingdom/Articles/Travel-Leisure/Parking

Here is my rental car parked on a two-way road.  Yes, Avis upgraded me to a Mercedes, but I made sure it was the same size as the economy car I had ordered.  

I took this photo to show you how there is really not room for two cars to pass one another on most town roads.  The cars on the left are legally parked. 

This is a legal road, but one way.  However, there is no way to know that it is one-way only except for one sign at the entrance. Lovely, old town, isn't this? 

When there is not enough room to park in the street, apparently it is OK to park partway on the sidewalk.  However, I looked up the double-yellow line and it means there is no parking on this side of the road, although loading and unloading is acceptable.  Do these people look like they are loading or unloading? 

Another two-way road with cars parked on both sides.  By the way, I stopped at the visitor center, which is right in the middle of town, to ask if I could use my U.S. handicap permit, and they said they only see the parking attendant a couple of times each week.  

Notice that cars are parked facing every which-way.  This is typical in the U.K. anywhere. I remember in Scotland often being panicked at turning down a road and seeing cars parked facing me on both sides of the road, and then slamming on my brakes because I thought I was going the wrong way on a one-way street!   

This is an amazing building.  See the sign on the next photo.



Consider that this stone floor has had over 400 years of use.  You can see ruts on both sides from wagons.

Interesting roof structure, although some of this is new since it was restored a few years ago.




Very pretty, but much newer.

This is the main road through town, and at least this portion is wide enough for parking and two cars driving in opposite directions.

An 18th Century pub.

Church is letting out.  Note all the cars parked on double-yellow lines.  Must be a church exclusion???  Or maybe it is due to that parking attendant showing up only once or twice a week! 


This is the oldest building left in town--built in 1,300. 



Headed back to my car in a publlc parking area. This also is a two-way street.



So, on to Stratford.  I almost ran into someone coming out of this driveway.  I was given instructions to turn into this driveway for reserved parking at the back of my bed and breakfast, aka B&B.  However, as I started to turn in, another car started to turn out and make a right turn in front of me.  I could only back up a couple of feet because there was a line of cars behind me, but somehow the other car made it, and I made it in without any problems, but I only had a few inches on each side of my car!! This is why I never let a car rental agency upgrade me to a larger car.

My en-suite room at the Adelphi Guest House.  I will be happy to park and not have to drive for a couple of days.  Whew!







No comments:

Post a Comment