Friday, May 4, 2018

5/4 Leaving London, Heading to Windsor

No sightseeing today, so I thought I would take some time to explain some things that are different in the UK.  Some of these things make life easier, some make life more difficult, and some things just take getting used to.  

In most big U.S. cities, subways are handicap accessible and you reach platforms via escalators or possible handicap lifts.  Here, because the subways are a lot older than those in the U.S, and Canada, there are very few accessible places and a trip by subway requires several sets of stairs up and more down.  Changing trains to another line also requires stairs, so you see almost no handicap people traveling that way.  

I have two big problems right now.  The first is that the slightly larger suitcase I bought at Christmas is much too heavy.  I can barely lift it to get it on a bed or dresser, let alone haul it up and down stairways in the underground.  So, I took a much more expensive taxi to Paddington Station today to get a train to Windsor.  Cost with tip was £25 or about $32, instead of the maybe £2 an underground ticket would have cost me--the price of being old and female.   

Then, when I got to the station I discovered you had to buy a ticket via touchscreen, except I did not realize the senior ticket I bought required a senior pass because it did not tell me so when I bought it.  So I headed to the ticket office to get a refund and have them give me a regular ticket.  I asked about changing trains in the town of Slough, about 15 minutes away, and he suggested I go to the assistance office to get help.  Supposedly, they would help me get on the train and then have someone meet me in Slough.  Except no one met me, but I had only a few feet to walk on a level platform, so no problems.  Also, I wisely picked my hotel in Windsor because it was  right next to the train station.

There were a bunch of teenagers in school uniforms that got on my car in Slough.  I did not ask, but they must be graduating seniors or something because all of the girls had their white shirts covered with autographs of classmates!  They were noisy, but very polite and offered to let me get off first.

Anyway, when I got to Windsor, I literally had to walk about 50 feet from the train station entrance to the door of the hotel. 

Now, on the surface, there is very little difference between a U.S. hotel and one in the U.K.  Same kinds of scanning door keys, same elevators, except there are NEVER any ice machines or customer washers and dryers to do laundry.  So, before I left, I ordered some dry soap sheets to do hand washing in the sink.  These looks like sheets of thick paper but completely dissolve in hot water.  It says that one will do an entire washer load, but I find that hard to believe, so have been using half a sheet per sinkful.  

I also ordered some hooks to hang things up with.  What I don't have because I have been staying in budget hotels is an iron and ironing board.  Will have to request one tomorrow to iron a couple of pairs of pants.

The other thing about staying in budget hotels or anything short of a Hilton or a Marriott is that there are no bars of soap or shampoo.  What you get is a dispenser on the wall, like these--one next to the sink and one in the shower.




I usually don't like the brand of soap, so I picked up some shampoo and a bar of soap, plus the washcloth I wrote about earlier.  When I get to small town hotels or bed and breakfasts, I will likely get shampoo and soap, just as in the U.S.

Now, what they DO have is a Pret a Manger and/or a Starbucks on every corner.  Take-out is how Londoners in particular live.  Pret advertises freshly prepared food with no chemical additives.  Most of the stuff is also organic, and they really have an excellent selection of stuff.    




You can get sandwiches on rolls or bread.  I really like the chicken and cucumber sandwich I had one night.  It was real chicken, not the pressed lunchmeat stuff and had fresh cucumber slices on it. 

The orange juice, at least, always tastes freshly squeezed and I have been buying it every morning.  A pastry and OJ costs about £3.60, which is not too bad. 

Some problems, however.  Getting ice in drinks is a challenge.  Also, I have been spending about £1.80 to £2.80 for a Coke.  The two hotels so far have had small bars in the lobby so have been willing to give me a glass of ice for my Coke.  This is where the lack of a pop machine is a problem because I either have to buy a Coke for about £1.20 in a Pret or Starbucks.  

Another problem is that restaurants do not serve water with meals.  I went to an Italian restaurant for dinner tonight and ordered a pizza.  I also ordered a bottle of "still" water and a glass of ice.  The guy brought me a glass which was less than 3" tall with three tiny ice cubes in it!   I had to ask for a larger glass with more ice, but the water cost me £2.80.  (Very thin, soggy-crust pizza was £9.20.) 

Most Brits, and Europeans in general, drink bottled water that is room temperature or only slightly cold.  In addition, restaurants do not service iced tea.  Starbucks does serve sweetened ice tea flavored with peach or mango, but you have to request extra ice to get it really icy.  No regular iced tea anywhere, in my experience. 

On a positive, theaters do let you bring in food or even drinks.  I was in a hurry and had not eaten breakfast when I saw a matinee of Aladdin, so I brought in a bottle of orange juice and an almond croissant.  They also sell ice cream during the intermission, but they are tiny cups of HaggenDas for £3.00, which is expensive. 

All in all, it just takes planning and knowing what to expect.   

Finally, my other problem I mentioned in my opening paragraph is that I have lost enough weight that my clothes are too large, especially my very good raincoat/  I am going to try to buy at least one pair of long pants tomorrow and maybe a light jacket.  I do have two pairs of shorts that are smaller, and since it is going to be actually warm tomorrow, I am going to wear one of those pairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment