Wednesday, May 23, 2018

5/22 Critters and Wildflowers

Islay has no predators--not even any foxes.  Also, no raccoons or squirrels. But it does have river otters and three species of deer--red, fallow, and roe.  I did not see any of these, but I did see a lot of sheep and cattle. I had a great view from my bedroom window of the sheep in the pasture between us and the sea.  Lots of lambs this time of year.



I know that this is a really bad picture, but it was raining and there is a bad reflection as I was taking it through my window.  Basically, the farmer is herding his sheep and moving them to another pasture by chasing them with his pickup truck and honking his horn.  They did NOT like the honking.  And even those he did not chase got a little worried about being alone and eventually followed the others.  

This cow looked interested as I drove past on the narrow lane, so I stopped and chatted with her.  Not much conversation on her side, however. 

I think these are bluebells.

This is gorse and is grows everywhere.  You can see it in the first photo on this page.  Sheep and cattle do not eat it, but it provides a home for other wildlife, so the farmers leave it alone. 

These are primroses.  Very pretty.


I think this one is lesser celandine.


Black face sheep is the most common on the island, and I was impressed with this guys classy horns.  He had a small group of ewes with him.  Shearing will begin in a couple of weeks. 

These sheep have an interestingly shaped face.

Look at this curly wool. 

Afternoon nap. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment