Thursday, May 3, 2018

5/2 Book of Mormon

I forgot to take my camera with me today, but since I did not do a lot of sightseeing, I really did not need it.  I did take a few photos with my cell phone, but since I The Book of Mormon performance was a matinee, I came back to my hotel room around dinner time and had a little extra time last evening to work on my class.  One thing about teaching online is that while I am grading papers and updating assignments for the current semester, I also have to record changes for the next semester. Otherwise, I would forget what things students misunderstood or needed to be fixed for the next class.  

Anyway, I ended up spending more time doing that than I had planned, so I still stayed up later than I had planned to.  Also, my body time clock is still messed up, and I am having problems getting to bed before 2 am, which means I end up sleeping in later than I want to.  Like last night I went to bed at 2 am, which is really 6 pm, California time.  And I got up at 10 am, which is really 6 am California time.  See the problem?  

But first, I have to say that The Book of Mormon was excellent.  Very funny and loved the unexpected ending.  Good music and the young men and other actors did an excellent job.  I liked this one much better than Aladdin, which just did not seem as polished.   It is also hard to compare Hamilton, which is a historical hip-hop show to a comedy, so I will have to say those two were very different, but both well worth the money.

I am getting the hang of the Underground, and since the weather was a little warmer today, I enjoyed walking to and from various places.  


Still raining, however.  I am really having problems with my raincoat.  It was a very expensive LL Bean coat, but is at least eight years old--bought it for my trip to London in 2010.  I have lost 35 pounds since then, so it is too big, plus I have been either freezing in it or sweating in it because it is so rainproof that it just does not breathe.  

Even with the rain, I have enjoyed walking around town now that it is a bit warmer.  London is such a vibrant, exciting town, that you cannot help but enjoy the excitement.  A lot of new chain restaurants and some that are very familiar like the Bubba Gump Shrimp place in this photo.  


Had to take a photo of the theater where The Book of Mormon is playing.  It is surprisingly small, with only one balcony, but that meant I had an excellent view from my front row seat in the balcony.  

Afterwards, I walked past the Official Half-Price Ticket Booth.  There are a lot of shops on Leicester Square offering deals on tickets, but this is the only official one that is run by the theater organization.  If you buy from one of the others, you take the chance of getting a fake ticket.  I could have gotten a half-price ticket for a ton of shows, including Matilda, 42nd Street, Bat Out of Hell, Chicago, A Christmas Carol, Company, Dreamgirls, The Lion King, The King and I, Little Shop of Horrors, Wicked, School of Rock, Phantom of the Opera, Mamma Mia, Kiss Me Kate, Motown, or a bunch more.

I decided that since I was on a roll, I would find out if they had available seats for Kicky Boots for tomorrow evening.  Got a 75 GBP ticket for only 35 GBPs.  This booth is located in Leicester Square, by the way, except it is pronounced "lester square," or people will have no idea what you are talking about.   

Also, tonight I stopped at a Boots and bought a washcloth.  One other thing I did tonight was wash out three t-shirts in the sink.  No washers and dryers is UK hotels, so I am trying to keep up by washing a few things out each night and letting them drip in the shower.  

Some things that are really difficult is finding a toilet you can use.  For one thing, you have to ask for a toilet, not a restroom or a ladies room.  Most restaurants are very strict about allowing non-customers in to use the bathroom.  Occasionally, you will find a public toilet in an Underground station, but they are vile and horrible.  The bigger department stores and museums will have clean toilets they will let you use, and thankfully, there seems to be a museum on every block around here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment