Tuesday, May 15, 2018

5/15 Trip to Hawkshead

After touring the home of Peter Rabbit and his friends, I had a very nice lunch in a hotel next door and headed out to the village of Hawkshead.  It was only a little more than two miles down the road, but as usual, it was a very tight road for those two-plus miles. Mostly when I got there, I stopped in a couple of shops, bought some postcards, and visited the tiny post office to get some stamps.

But first, I have to introduce you to the dreaded British solution to parking meters. Theoretically, you follow the instructions on the top panel, put in your card or money and expect a receipt that you put on your dashboard.  Except they do not take foreign credit cards most of the time, and you are out of luck if you do not have enough change because they do not take bills.  There is usually a line of people, British and otherwise, trying to get it to work!  Good way to meet people.


I thought this was a very clever use for the old red telephone booths since no one uses public phones anymore.  By the way, you have no worries over here about getting your cell phone stolen, as 50% of the people walking down any street are talking on their own more-expensive-than-your phone. 

This was a pleasant little village with several shops selling Beatrix Potter items, and a few restaurants serving mostly tea and cakes.

I heard the bells ringing from this church, so I took the sidewalk up the hill to see what was there.  It was so ancient, you could read almost none of the tombstones. 



Check out the date.  In 1633:
  • Galileo Galilei was in Italy for his inquisition.
  • The Massachusetts Bay Colony formed its first government. 
  • Louis XiII was King of France.
  • Charles I was king of England.
  • Samuel Pepys was born. 
  • Shakespeare's Second Folio of his plays had just been published.

I found a very pleasant bench and enjoyed the beautiful views for half an hour.  All you could hear were birds chirping.  By the way, do you notice anything missing from the windows on these houses?  None of the British windows have screens on them.  I leave windows open in B&Bs and guest houses, even hotels when I can, and so far nothing has flown in--no bug or birds or bats.


I'm really glad I took this short drive.  Tomorrow, I plan to go across the lake on a small ferry and see what is over there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment