Thursday, May 17, 2018

5/17 Hadrian's Wall and Roman Fort at Birdoswald

I'm breaking today's post into two sections because it is so long.  I visited two major forts along Hadrian's Wall, and this first one was the smallest.  

I had to drive about 15 miles to get to the freeway, but then really enjoyed the openness of the next 50 miles on M6 to Carlyle.  I had been desperate for some foam or a "tailbone" pillow.  I need a booster to see well out of this rental car and the seat cushion on my 11-hour flight over here was really uncomfortable because it was so flat. (Try sitting in one place for 11 hours.)  So, I have been desperate to get a booster seat so i can see the curbs better as I drive!  (Wouldn't you think the expensive Mercedes they upgraded me to have a power seat???)  Also, I am going to be prepared for the next flight, no matter how wacky it looks to be carrying my own cushion onboard the plane.

I have been checking for several days, but no one carried cushions or foam or sewing supplies or anything!  Finally, I found a couple of tiny fabric stores in Carlyle and called around.  One shop was in the city center market, but she had just what I wanted!  It was great to put it on the seat and be able to see out better.  I also got some fabric to pin on over it.

As you can see, the countryside has changed to more rolling hills with a lot fewer trees.  Still lots of sheep, however. And MUCH easier driving on the freeway.

Found this sign when I got off the freeway, drove a few miles down A69, and finally hit the "B" country roads.  They are certainly not kidding!

This is one of the sections of Hadrian's Wall.  It originally would have been a lot taller, but it is at least four feet wide.  It is likely that over the centuries farmers and others "borrowed" many of the stones to build their own fences or homes.  

Birdoswald was the location of a fort.  There were forts every few miles, staffed with Roman soldiers and towers in between.

Ruins of the fort.




Almost all land in historic places has sheep on it, and this is lambing season.  Cute, cute, cute.


The lambs are often resting or sleeping near their moms.


One of the gates along this fort.  The wall here would have been about 15 feet tall, with large towers on either side of the gate.

Next posting will be on another and larger fort along the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment