Wednesday, May 9, 2018

5/8 Stonehenge and Devizes Museum

I am going to be here for two days, so I decided to do the most touristy thing first--Stonehenge.  When I was here about 15 years ago, there was a small visitor center right at the stone, but the parking lot was too small and a major highway went right past it.  Now they have a larger visitor center and parking lot about a mile away. 



Interesting buildings within a building. 

The museum here is fairly small, but OK. 







This is a rook, by the way.  I looked him up by his white beak. 

This is called the heel stone and it is outside of the circle. 




 The better museum is in the nearby town of Devizes, and there was nobody there!  I had to park a long way away and walk!  This museum contains artifacts from Stonehenge and from Avebury, which is nearby and I will go to tomorrow.








This is what Avebury Circle would have looked like 3,500 years ago.  Note that it has two circles in the middle of a larger circle.  

The Neolithic people who lived in this area had gold!



This is amber!


































No comments:

Post a Comment